WA-COVID-19-Phase-2-Restirctions

Perth Coronavirus Update: 2 New Cases Overnight & Wander Out Yonder Campaign Launches

WA-COVID-19-Phase-2-Restirctions
Advertisement
Advertisement
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on whatsapp

WA Government launches biggest ever spend on local marketing campaign, as the State confirms two new COVID-19 cases overnight.

The Wander out Yonder marketing campaign will see the McGowan Government spend $2 million in just six months, with possibly more to come.

Premier Mark McGowan today said it was time for West Australians to spend their money at home for holidays in coming weeks and months.

“We’re encouraging West Australians to travel right here at home,” he said.

Tourism Minister Paul Papalia said West Australians typically spent double while travelling interstate or internationally than what visitors to WA spent.

“This is a moment in time where Western Australians can get out there and experience their own State,” he said.

“Before COVID we had biggest numbers of interstate and international visitors in history, and they were coming for a reason.”

Interstate borders remain in place

Mr McGowan said the hard border against interstate travellers entering WA would remain in place for “some time to come”.

“The chief health officer of Western Australia has advised us that the interstate border assists us in protecting west Australians from outbreaks of infections in the eastern states, as has the director general of the health department,” he said.

Advertisement


“We expect to leave the border in place for some time to come, it allows us to better open our economy within Western Australia… to allow for economic activity within our state and the interstate border is what allows us to do that.”

Mr McGowan hit back at the Prime Minister and Federal leaders for urging WA and other states to re-open by July at the latest.

“We’re going to act in the interest of our state, our economy and our people,” he said.

“The more they (the Federal Government) push it, the more they increase the resolve of Western Australians to do right thing by our citizens and by ourselves. So I just urge everyone across country let us make the decision based on health of our citizens and our economy.”

The reason WA was “light years” ahead of other states in easing its restrictions was largely due to the hard border remaining in place, Mr McGowan said.

New case from an overseas traveller and one “historical” case confirmed

Mr McGowan confirmed one “new” case of COVID-19, along with one “historical case” had been detected overnight.

“A woman in her 30s returned from overseas from the Middle East and she’s been in quarantine since her arrival home which was a few days ago,” he said.

“The historical case, a man in his 40s was in the Kimberley was cleared in April, but… (further) testing showed he was positive at some time in past, most likely earlier in April.”

Advertisement

The Premier confirmed of the 29 cases currently active in WA, just four were West Australians, five were from interstate and 20 were from the Al Kuwait ship – expected to leave WA waters on June 13.

“28 of 29 cases are in hotel quarantine,” he said.

“One crew member from Al Kuwait sheep ship is now in Royal Perth Hospital being treated.”

The number of people recovered from the virus in WA stands at 553, with more than 94,000 tests executed as of yesterday morning. 

Watch: WA Premier Mark McGowan and Tourism Minister Paul Papalia with a COVID-19 update.

WA COVID-19 update | June1

#LIVE: WA Premier Mark McGowan and Tourism Minister Paul Papalia with a COVID-19 update.

Posted by ABC Perth on Sunday, 31 May 2020

More Perth news and Perth coronavirus updates on SoPerth.com.au.

Share:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on linkedin

Subscribe To Our newsletter

your daily dose of Perth

Advertisement
Receive the latest news &

Get our free Street Food Sundays recipe book

Receive the latest news &

Get our free Street Food Sundays recipe book