Premier hints at restrictions to remain beyond Friday.
Despite detecting no new COVID-19 cases in the first two days of lockdown, Mark McGowan has warned restrictions across affected areas of WA could continue well beyond Friday.
“There might be a range of measures we still have to have in place, just to make sure, over coming weeks,” he said.
“If we get zero cases between now and Friday, my expectation is on Friday night we come out of the severe form of lockdown we’re currently in.”
That would means schools returning from Monday and the harshest of the restrictions, such as major closures across the city, being eased.
Despite so far not detecting a spike in cases linked to the security guard who tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday, Mr McGowan said precautions were still necessary.
“What we know about COVID is you can’t be too careful,” he said.
“This is obviously a significant setback but if we can crush it and kill it now, we can get back onto a good pathway in the future.”
About 151 close contacts and 68 casual contacts of the original case have so far been identified, 104 of which have recorded negative tests.
More than 31,000 people were tested on Sunday and more than 16,000 on Monday.
Figures from yesterday’s tests and an update on if any more positive cases have been detected are expected in coming hours.
Today’s update from Mr McGowan might provide further clarity on restrictions going forward.
Take 2 minutes to have your say
We have created a survey to help us understand and voice your thoughts and opinions.
Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey via the link below.
Latest update on COVID-19 clinics and hotspots health.wa.gov.au.
Feature image: AAP Image/Richard Wainwright
Latest Perth COVID-19 news on SoPerth.com.au.