Local drone and videographer Aeroture captures epic footage of a Blue Whale 5km off the WA coast.
It’s not every day while doing your job are you lucky enough to capture the majestic beauty of a Blue Whale. Local drone and Local drone and videographer Aeroture was lucky enough to capture such an experience 5km offshore of Cape Naturaliste.
Watch: Blue Whale off WA Coast
Video footage captured by Aeroture shows something thing that resembles more of a warship than a mammal – paying testament to just how magnificent blue whales are.
While humpback whales are quite common off the WA shores during migration season (May-Dec) blue whales aren’t with only an estimated 12,000-20,000 remaining.
Each year approximately 30 nautical miles off the coast of Perth the elusive blue whales go to feed at a marine hotspot where krill gather called the Perth Canyon – which is larger than the Grand Canyon, except it is under water!
Blue Whales Facts
- The Blue Whale is the largest animal ever to have lived on earth
- Their tongues alone can weigh as much as an elephant
- Their hearts, as much as a car
- A single adult blue whale can consume 36,000 kg of krill a day
- Are graceful swimmers cruise the ocean at over 8km/h, and can reach speeds of over 30km/h
- They mainly catch their food by diving and descend to depths of approximately 500m
Aeroture also captured a photo of the majestic mammal
View this post on Instagram
Follow @aeroture_aus on Instagram
Follow Aeroture on Facebook
Want to try your luck at witnessing a blue whale? Visit whalewatchwesternaustralia.com.
Discover more of Perth and WA
Your guide to the latest things to do in Perth and WA.