What West Aussies have long known is now offical.
Perth and Western Australian beaches are the best in Australia.
A national poll by the Guardian Australia saw Cottesloe Beach take top metropolitan beach, overwhelmingly defeating overated and overpopulated beaches on the east coast.
Cottesloe also pulled in the most votes of any beach in Australia, ahead of Hyams Beach in New South Wales and Wineglass Bay beach in Tasmania.
“There’s nothing better than a sunset over the ocean and Guardian readers voted Cottesloe in Western Australia as their favourite metropolitan beach,” The Guardian wrote.
“Affectionately known as Cott, the suburban Perth beach polled more than 1,000 votes. Its crystal clear waters are brimming with swimmers, snorkelers and surfers alike on lazy summer days.”
19,533 votes cast in the comprehensive survey on The Guardian’s website.
Cott Beach pulled in 1000+ votes ?
Noosa Main Beach on the Sunshine Coast in not so sunny Queensland was second with 674 votes.
Metropolitan top 10
1. Cottesloe, Perth, Western Australia
2. Noosa Main Beach, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
3. Yarra Bay, Sydney, New South Wales
4. Port Noarlunga, Adelaide, South Australia
5. Freshwater, Sydney, New South Wales
6. Portsea, Mornington peninsula, Victoria
7. Bondi, Sydney, New South Wales
8. Balmoral, Sydney, New South Wales
9. Port Willunga beach, Fleurieu peninsula, South Australia
10. Bronte, Sydney, New South Wales
Meanwhile, Elephant Rocks near Denmark was named the second best regional beach in Australia.
Meelup in Margaret River and Greens Pool also made the top ten.
Related: Top Beaches to Camp at or near in WA
Regional top 10
1. Hyams beach, south coast, New South Wales
2. Elephant Rocks, south coast, Western Australia
3. Refuge Cove, Wilsons promontory, Victoria
4. Wategos Beach, Byron Bay, New South Wales
5. Horseshoe Bay, Bowen, Queensland
6. Ninety Mile beach, Gippsland, Victoria
7. Meelup, Margaret River, Western Australia
8. Greenpatch, Jervis Bay, New South Wales
9. Greens Pool, Denmark, Western Australia
10. Horseshoe Bay, Port Elliott, South Australia
More stories from So Perth